A fire on Thursday, Oct. 13, gutted a home on South Thomas Lane in Stony Point, about 2 p.m.
The home is owned by Ashley Chapman, and the occupants were 13 members of the Gerald and Trina Dalton family, including six adults and seven children. The youths ranged in age from one month old to 17 years old. No persons were injured in the fire. However, the family dog was found dead in the home after the fire, according to Alexander County Fire Marshal Russell Greene.
Stony Point, Hiddenite, Taylorsville, Wittenburg, Monticello, and West Iredell fire departments responded with personnel and apparatus. Greene said the large number of departments was needed due to the time of day (during the work day) and availability of volunteer firefighters.
Greene estimated damage to the house in the $85,000 to $100,000 range.
The fire began on the back porch and is believed to have been caused by a malfunctioning generator. Greene was told by a family member that a generator was being used on the back porch to supply electricity to the home.
The American Red Cross assisted the Dalton family by supplying rooms for temporary housing at the Economy Inn in Statesville.
This article was updated October 17 to reflect new information, that 13 people, not 17, were occupants of the home.