Skip to content
March 04, 2024

Surya acquires Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams

Surya Tiwari (right) established the company which bears his name and later appointed his son, Satya (left), as president in 2006. (Photo: SuryaLiving.com)

The company Surya has acquired furniture brand Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams (MG+BW), which abruptly declared bankruptcy in August and recently entered Chapter 7 liquidation, according to an article published Nov. 15 in Home Accents Today.

Satya Tiwari, CEO of Surya, told Home Accents Today that Surya will return Mitchell Gold to its roots and “build on its core tenets of craftsmanship, customization, and a design-forward approach with MG+BW designs and quality being preserved and celebrated.”

MG+BW’s co-founder also is encouraged about the new venture. “I am excited that Surya has emerged as the next steward of the MG+BW brand, possessing a profound appreciation for our heritage and a resolute commitment to propel the brand forward,” Mitchell Gold told Home Accents Today. “After navigating through unsettling times, I now see a promising next chapter for the brand we built over 30 years.” Gold will serve as an advisor to Surya’s leadership team.

“Alexander County is excited about Surya’s acquisition of the Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams brand. We look forward to the company’s revival and the jobs that are to be restored in our county,” said Shane Fox, Alexander County Manager. “We certainly appreciate Surya’s investment in MG+BW, as well as everyone’s efforts in making this significant transaction a reality.”

A chance encounter in North India between a buyer from Federated Group (now Macy’s) and Surya Tiwari led to the creation of Surya Rugs, which started out as a small supplier of hand-knotted rugs. Realizing that it was critical to have more direct contact with customers, Surya Tiwari established a division in the U.S. in 1986 and appointed his son, Satya, as president in 2006, according to the Surya website.

Surya’s acquisition of MG+BW comes on the heels of the recent purchases of outdoor company RST Brands in September and accessories company Global Views in April.

Tiwari told Furniture Today in September that he is open to more acquisitions in the future since his goal is for Surya to become the “Berkshire-Hathaway of the industry.”

8 Comments

1. Customer of MG+BW on November 27, 2023 at 9:37 am

With this acquisition out of bankruptcy, for clients that paid in full for furniture orders that have not been delivered to a common carrier and still remain in MG+BW facilities, will there be a protocol on how clients can retrieve their furniture that they paid in full before the bankruptcy?

• Roy Shea on December 11, 2023 at 2:14 pm

We have MG+BW couch and chair and would like to order new slipcovers. Who do we contact?

• Amy Koval on December 27, 2023 at 10:47 pm

Hi have you heard any info from elsewhere on the question you posted above? I’m in the same boat wondering the same thing as you

• Mar T on January 10, 2024 at 7:54 am

When can we expect Mitchell Gold to open back up here in Alexander county?? I would like my job back that I enjoyed in the past. I put 12 years into that company and would love the opportunity to be back there finishing

2. anita jonooby on December 27, 2023 at 1:47 pm

I was waiting for over 8 months for a replacement of my dresser that defective upon delivery back in November 2022. The delivery of my dresser was postponed 3 times over the past year and never delivered. A credit of $500 was also promised, but never received due to these continuous delays. I would like to get a new dresser delivered or my money back. Who do I need to contact to get this expensive matter resolved? I have email correspondences with managers and customer service with MG+BW promising replacement will arrive soon and their monetary compensations that never surfaced.

Anita Jonooby
    Dallas, TX

3. Lori on January 9, 2024 at 6:37 pm

I am also in the same boat as a client above! After purchasing a leather sofa & two stunning bar cabinets for a new home we have seen nothing & have heard nothing. Please advise if this bankruptcy buy out might change anything!

4. Sue --cust of MG+BW Beverly Hills Store on January 16, 2024 at 6:42 pm

We bought two chairs from MG+BW Beverly Hills Store. We paid in full and they were ready to be delivered when the
    store declared bankruptcy. I’m hoping this acquisition will show consideration and we can please get our chairs.

5. L L on February 6, 2024 at 3:47 pm

I am trying to locate my fully paid furniture order that was due to be delivered in September. 2023. could you please tell me who I can contact.